Thursday, September 20, 2012

“I sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world.”

Today, I took a step in a direction I haven't in a long time. Today in my Gender, Race, and Nationalism course, the conversation turned to education, poverty, learned helplessness, and the plight of American people of the 21st century. We talked about children in an endless cycle of financial disparity and social ineptitude, wrought by parents with little care for their well being. It was a moving conversation, and the class really bonded over it. I am usually a very vocal person in class; I can't stand silence or quiet indifference to a subject, and it shows in the way I present myself academically. I may not be the most intelligent or articulate of students, but the passion and dedication I have for what I'm doing shows in the way I assert myself.

Today I felt like a superhero. I've been reading comics for a literature class I'm taking, and in reading Alan Moore's Watchmen, I've began to develop an ongoing philosophy of the revisionary hero. Too long have I thought of superheroes as forces for good. In reality, they stand for everything I am against. Yes, I disagree with crime, and a peaceful, crime-free society is ideal. But the fascist methods and complete disregard for human safety has soured my view of caped crusaders. Although they fascinate me, I've started to see heroes for what they are. Damaged people who hold a feeling of moral superiority and false justice based on a black-and-white spectrum. The real heroes are those that uphold human and civil rights. They are the unsung heroes. The teacher that helps an impoverished student, or a protester that would give their life for their cause. They are the voices that cannot live with silence or quiet indifference.   

Today, for the first time in a long while, I feel really good about who I am and what I stand for. I've taken a step int he right direction, and I'm ready to start trusting myself. The path will be long and arduous, but I will take one step at a time, fearless int he face of adversity.

Fucking bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment