Monday, August 6, 2012

How Nolan did Catwoman Right, and A Critical Reaction to Dark Knight Rises

I think it's funny that my first (real) post will be about comic books and The Dark Knight Rises instead of the Alpha Shipwreck or the research topic for my writing samples, but after seeing the movie I have a lot to say. This post is in response to the way some characters where depicted, as well as a comparison between "Comic book Batman" and "Film Batman". This post will probably contain spoilers in the second half of the post, so, if you haven't seen the movie yet, please refrain from reading until after you have.

First, I will praise the movie. I believe Nolan has done a wonderful job in portray Batman in a very gritty realistic fashion, and I find his story-telling to be compelling and well done. The ending was a pleasant twist that was, truly, unexpected. I was convinced the Dark Knight franchise was a trilogy so, I hope the movies to come (I  don't know if there are production plans for them) are as great as the first three movies. I would also like to praise the very mature and accurate way they portrayed the character of catwoman.

Earlier this summer I read an article by Laura Hudson, the former editor and chief of the website Comics Alliance. The article was entitled "The Big Sexy Problem Superheroines and their 'Liberated Sexuality'"; an article that addressed grievances with how the characters of Starfire and Catwoman and their new 'liberated sexuality' was depicted in DC's new line of comics, the New 52. Now, the original purpose of the New 52 was to start to gather a new fanbase by making the comics more accessible to folks that had no previous comic knowledge, a female readership, and already devoted DC fans.  Instead of this, they pandered to the same fanboy constituency by creating sexually deviant, and ultimately failed characters. A quote from the article that more or less sums up the catwoman fiasco:

     "Let's start with Catwoman. The writer and artist have decided that out of all possible introductions to the character of Selina Kyle, the moment we're going to meet her is going to be the one where she happens to be half-dressed and sporting bright red lingerie. That is in fact all we see of her for two pages: shots of her breasts. Most problematically, we are shown her breasts and her body over and over for two pages, but NOT her face. No joke, we get a very clear and detailed shot of her butt in black latex before we ever see her face looks like. Can't you show us the playful or confident look in her eye as she puts on her sexy costume? Because without that it's impossible to connect with the character on any other level than a boner, and I'm afraid I don't have one of those."




Hey look, a butt.

The new Catwoman comic also contains a sex scene on the roof of a building with Batman, a panel that was, more of less, unnecessary. The rest of the article sums up my feelings on the matter nicely, so please take the time to read it if possible. Nolan's Catwoman, on the other hand, was portrayed as a strong, independent woman who took what she wanted, when she wanted it. She was vulnerable to an extent, but in a way that portrayed her in a human light, not a "Oh help me I'm a helpless womanfolk" manner. She was sexy because she was portrayed as such a strong female character, not just because she flaunted around her body. Good on you, Mr. Nolan.

Spoiler time:
My second set of thoughts is a comic book nerd's grievances with false story arcs. When Bane (who is supposed to Hispanic, not a Sean Connery impersonator), breaks Wayne's back, that is the end of the Bruce Wayne as Batman legacy. I believe it's Dick Greyson who takes up the cowl after him (I might be mistaken, it could be Damien Wayne). Also, John Blake was never a Robin identity. That irked me slightly.

Don't get me wrong, as a film buff I enjoyed the movie and I've enjoyed the franchise, but as a believer of tragedy in film, and a comic book lover, Batman should have ended with the breaking of Wayne's spine. Just saying.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I appreciate that she was still sexy--even a sex object--but on her own terms. She was powerful. As powerful as any superhero.

    ReplyDelete